New to German
GISB is committed to offering a bilingual education to as many students as possible.
Children entering preschool or kindergarten do not need to speak or understand German. Students entering grades 1 – 5 who have little to no German language skills can apply for our Fast Track program, an accelerated language program for motivated students.
Preschool – Kindergarten
GISB’s language-immersion program in preschool and kindergarten does not require any prior German knowledge. In our preschool and kindergarten program, children with all levels of German language ability, from absolute beginners to native speakers, are welcomed, supported, and challenged. Teachers will speak exclusively German with your child, using a range of methods to promote language learning and small group sizes ensure individual attention and support.
Grades 1 – 5: Fast Track Program
Fast Track is a student-centered, rigorous program that enables motivated students with little or no prior German knowledge to learn German at an accelerated pace. Are you interested in German-immersion education for your child, but your child doesn’t read or even speak German? Are you seeking an independent school learning environment with small classes, dedicated teachers, and unique opportunities? By enrolling in GISB’s German Fast Track Program, your child will participate in Germany’s challenging academic curriculum after a year of intensive language support.
Fast Track is
- engaging and intensive
- is designed and taught by experienced master educators
- prepares students to participate in GISB’s regular bilingual curriculum
- involves one full day each week of German instruction, and one-on-one or very small group support in regular GISB classes
- is tailored to your child’s individual strengths
While the focus of the Fast Track program is your child’s German language skills, we will partner with you and your child to advance their academic and social abilities across a range of skills and subjects. Math, science, English, the arts, and physical education are all part of your Fast Track experience. Through a rigorous and exciting German language program combined with supported participation in a regular classroom, your child can form close friendships and enjoy their favorite subjects while working steadily on German fluency.
Candidates for the GISB Fast Track Program are
- eager to tackle the challenge of an intensive language-learning experience
- highly motivated and curious about the world and the people around them
- able to demonstrate above-average academic potential and achievement