22. Juni 2022 (bei schlechten Wetter: 23. Juni 2022)
After a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic, the Bundesjugendspiele will return to GISB. Since the early 1950s, German schools at home and abroad have organized a day of athletic competition, and we are excited to bring this event finally back to GISB. This year’s event will take place on Wednesday, June 22, during regular school hours at the McCurdy Outdoor Track at Harvard Stadium. The schoolwide event is organized by GISB’s Athletics Department and supported by the Parent Association. Please note that in case of inclement weather, the event will take place on Thursday, June 23.
All students in grades 1-10 will compete in four events consisting of
- One sprint (50m, 75m, or 100m) according to their age
- One endurance run (girls 800m / boys 1000m)
- Long jump (three attempts)
- Throwing, three attempts (80g or 200g ball, shot put grade 9 & 10, Schleuderball grade 8)
Grade 11 students will serve as judges at various stations measuring, recording, retrieving balls, or timing runs. Grade 10 will have an option to compete or help at the stations. If they choose to compete, they will be assigned to stations once they are done. Grade 9 students will run stations for Vorschule and preschool after their competition.
Schedule Upper Campus:
- Grade 9 & 10 will open the contest at 8:30 am, and every 30 minutes after that, the next class will arrive at the McCurdy track and compete. By 11:30 am, grades 4, 1, and 2 will arrive on the field. At noon, grade 3 will start their competition.
- Classes 7, 8, and 9 will walk back to school at 12:30 pm. BBQ begins for them at 1:00 pm.
- All other UC grades will walk back to school at 1 pm for the BBQ.
- Students will stay in their respective pods as we do during our regular recess.
Schedule Lower Campus:
Students will walk from the Lower Campus and will arrive at McCurdy track between 10:00 am and 11:00 am. The children will watch some of the older students’ competitions and spend some time at the new Smith playground before making their way over to their stations at about 11:00. They will return to the Lower Campus for lunch.
- Grades 1 & 2 will be served first. They will eat at the playground with their supervising teachers.
- Grades 3 & 4 will be served next and will eat in the parking lot near the shooting wall.
- Grades 5 & 6 will be served after ES and will eat in Holton Garden.
- Grades 7 & 8 will eat in the church garden
- Grades 9 – 11 will eat in the courtyard.
- Preschool and Kindergarten students will be served fruit and pretzels at the Lower Campus
End of School Day Upper Campus:
- Sign out will take place by the supervising teacher at the main entrance as usual.
- ASP students in grades 1 & 2 will stay at the playground where the ASP teacher will meet them. ASP students in grades 3 & 4 will be accompanied by their supervising teachers back in the building where ASP staff will meet them.
- Classes 5-11 will go with their 7th-period teacher back to their classrooms.
Als Volunteer anmelden
Es ist eine langjährige Tradition, dass Eltern sich an den Bundesjugendspielen beteiligen, indem sie sich um Verpflegung auf dem Sportfeld kümmern, Wettkampfstationen beaufsichtigen und am Ende der Veranstaltung ein gemeinsames Grillen am Upper Campus organisieren. Vorschul- und Kindergartenkinder erhalten am Lower Campus Brezeln und frisches Obst. Ob auf dem Sportfeld oder bei der anschließenden Verpflegung unserer Sportler, wir freuen uns sehr auf Ihre Unterstützung!